Find Amarillo DPS information including address and hours of operation.
Amarillo DPS Hours
7AM – 6PM
Amarillo DPS Address
4200 Canyon Drive, Amarillo, TX 79109
Amarillo DPS Phone
Getting Your Driver’s License At The Amarillo DPS
Going to the Amarillo DPS you will need to bring certain documents along. If you plan on taking the driver’s test you can also grab a copy of the handbook to study ahead of time from the DPS Amarillo location, or you can get it online.
Visiting the Amarillo DPS come prepared and bring these things:
- A Social Security Number, and proof of residency in Texas will be proof of your identity. You may also need to provide US citizenship or lawful presence proof to the DPS Amarillo office.
- If you haven’t done so, you will need to fill out an application at the Amarillo DPS.
Also you will need to bring the following to the DPS Amarillo location:
- If you won a vehicle, you will need proof that it is registered in Texas to give to the Amarillo DPS. You will also need to show your financial responsibility for that vehicle or
- You can provide a statement of affirmation that you are not the owner of any vehicles to the DPS Amarillo agent.
- When you apply in person at the Amarillo DPS please bring required documents along and money for fees.
- You will need to pass the vision exam at the DPS Amarillo location
- The Amarillo DPS will require you to take the knowledge and driver test, unless you are exempt. (If the test needs to be done in another language, please visit that section to see what requirements you need for the Amarillo DPS.)
- If you are a teen and taking the education course at the Amarillo DPS you will also need to finish the Impact Texas Teen Driver course (ITTD).
NOTE: For applicants at the Amarillo DPS who are not 25, you need to finish the driver education course, after which you can apply for the license. ATTENTION: Starting on the date April 1, 2015, when the teen driver course is needed, the ITTD also needs to be done, prior to the exam.
If you are under 18 and going to the Amarillo DPS, you will have more requirements to meet. To find out what, visit the Teen Drivers page.
Foreign Students and Nonresident Visitors
In order to help reduce any chance of identity theft, the Amarillo DPS requires people who are students or nonresidents to fill out special requirements. For more information on what you need please visit the US Citizenship or Lawful Presence Page. Documents that will be accepted for proof at the DPS Amarillo location are listed on the Verifying Lawful Presence Guide, or you can find a brochure that can be downloaded. These requirements need to be met by temporary residents as well.
New Texas Residents
If you are between the ages of 18 and 24 and new to Texas there are requirements you must meet prior to applying for your first license. To see what they are visit the Moving to Texas page.
Motorcycle and Moped Riders
People who own and drive motorcycles and mopeds are required to obtain a Class M license. To see how you can do this go to the Motorcycles Licenses page.
U.S. Military Veterans
There are occasions where disabled veterans may be exempt of fees. If you feel that you can qualify for this designation, go to the Veteran Services page to find out more.