Find Dallas DPS information including address and hours of operation.
1. What should I bring when I make an appointment at the Dallas DPS office?
It varies upon what it is that you are trying to accomplish. If you are renewing your Dallas drivers license, then you will need to complete a drivers license renewal form, and have your old license and your social security number. If you are trying to obtain your first TX driver license, then you will need to complete a online drivers ed course prior to your application at the Dallas DPS Office. If you are between fourteen and seventeen years old, you can get 10% off the enrollment cost for internet drivers education by clicking here. If you are between eighteen and twenty-four years old, you can enroll in an online Adult Drivers Ed class by clicking here.
2. What are the Dallas hours of operation?
We have listed the office hours and telephone number for all DPS Texas locations, including the Dallas DPS office. Since the Dallas Department of Public Safety may close during special holidays, we strong recommend you call in advance of your visit to make sure that the Dallas DPS office is open.
3. Can I pick up the forms that I need at the Dallas DPS office?
Yes, or you can access them online here on our website by clicking here. We strongly recommend you to have the mandated forms prepared before your visit. Trust us, it will make the process faster. You’ll thank us later!
4. Is it true that the Dallas DPS now requires a “Proof of Residency” policy for first time drivers license applicants?
Yes. However, it’s not just the Dallas DPS. Effective April 2012, any vehicle operator applying for an original Texas drivers license, Commercial Drivers License or ID card is required to bring a minimum of 2 documents to verify his or her identity. This is Texas law.
Getting Your Texas Driver’s License In Dallas
When you go to apply for your Driver’s License at the Dallas DPS, there are requirements that need to be met, and certain things you must bring along. You can find the Texas Driver’s Handbook online or at your DPS Dallas office, it will help you in studying for your test.
When you go to your Dallas DPS please make sure you bring the following things with you:
- Bring along these documents to your Dallas DPS to prove your identity. Social Security Number, Texas residency proof, and if needed U.S. citizenship or status that proves lawful presence status in the country.
- You will need to complete the DPS Dallas application, this will be available at the Dallas DPS.
Present the following:
- Vehicle registration in Texas if you are a new resident to the state. Along with your evidence of financial responsibility towards each of the vehicles that are owned by the person who is applying or
- Statement that will affirm that the person applying at the Dallas DPS is not the owner of any motor vehicle.
- If you are applying in person at the DPS Dallas location please make sure that you have brought along the documents that are required, as well as fees that you will need to pay.
- You will need to pass the vision exam
- The Dallas DPS also requires that you pass the driving tests and knowledge exams, unless you have been deemed exempt. (If you need to know about testing in another language, please go to that section.)
- The DPS Dallas location also has requirements for those people who need to complete the teen driver course, with the completion of Impact Texas Teen Driver (ITTD).
NOTE: If the Dallas DPS applicant is not 25 years of age, they will also need to finish the driver education course in order to apply for the Texas state license. ATTENTION: As of April 1, 2015, if you have to take the teen driver education course, you will also have to finish the ITTD requirement first to be eligible for the exam for driver skills.
Those DPS Dallas applicants who are under 18 will need to meet some extra requirements. Please visit the Teen Drivers page for more details.
Foreign Students and Nonresident Visitors
In order to reduce any risk of theft of identity, and to help enhance protection and secure the integrity of the Dallas DPS licensing process, those nonresident applicants, this includes students who are applying for their license at the DPS Dallas location will need to meet certain other requirements. If you visit the US Citizenship or Lawful Presence page it will detail those requirements. You will find the documents that are acceptable by the Dallas DPS under the Verifying Lawful Presence Guide that will detail information for visitors who are only here temporarily as well. Also, there is a brochure that lists the acceptable documents that you can get through a download, ask your DPS Dallas worker for more information.
New Texas Residents
Adults who have just moved to Texas and have an unexpired and valid license from either another state or country, please find more information on the moving to Texas page.
Motorcycle and Moped Riders
For those people who are riders of motorcycles or mopeds, please go to the Motorcycle Licenses page to find out how to obtain your Class M license.
U.S. Military Veterans
There may be a way for certain disabled veterans to be exempted of fees in obtaining the ID card or driver license. For further information on those services, please look at the Veteran Services page. There you will find what the requirements for qualification are for this designation.