Registering or Renewing Your Texas Vehicle Registration
If you are a Texas resident who owns a motor vehicle, you are legally required to renew your Texas vehicle registration each year through any of the authorized Texas vehicle registration locations or online. You have the option of renewing your Texas vehicle registration in any of the following three ways:
- Online Texas Vehicle Registration (Click Here)
- Mail-in Texas Vehicle Registration
- In-Person Texas Vehicle Registration at any of the Texas Vehicle Registration locations the Texas Department of Transportation
Texas Vehicle Registration Renewal by Mail
The Texas Department of Transportation (DOT) will send you a Texas vehicle registration registration renewal reminder each year. It will include a listing of Texas vehicle registration locations. To file your Texas Vehicle Registration by mail, send the following to the tax office in your county:
- The Texas vehicle registration renewal notice you got from the D.O.T.
- Proof of current liability insurance from your insurance agent
- The Texas vehicle registration renewal fee + a $1.00 fee assessed on mail-in renewals.
Texas Vehicle Registration Renewal In Person
Bring your Texas vehicle registration renewal notice and proof of current liability insurance to the county tax office. If you did not get a Texas vehicle registration renewal notice from the TX DOT, you may also renew your Texas vehicle registration using the following information/documents:
- The previous year’s Texas vehicle registration receipt
- Your vehicle identification number, also known at the ‘VIN’ number
- Your license plate number
You will be required to pay the registration fee at the time of your renewal.
Change the Address on Your Texas Vehicle Registration
All Texas vehicle registration renewal notices are sent to the address that is listed on your motor vehicle record. In order to change that address, you may do so in one of the following ways:
- On the internet (only in some counties),
- At your county tax office, or
- By mailing the Texas Dept. of Transportation a completed change of address form.